Friday, March 12, 2010

My Process (the wedding invitations)

I've been asked to show more of my process on here, so http://arossell.blogspot.com/: you got it.  I'm working on my friend's wedding invitiations.  She wants a fairy representing her with blonde curly hair and the Autumn colors because her wedding will be in October.  Her fiance was in a really terrible car accident a few months ago, so we're drawing him as an owl, but with a bandaged wing. (I think that is adorable). Today I went kind of nuts going crazy with one idea to see if I would be happy with this style and process.  After spending an hour trying to draw a circle in Photoshop  (turned out to just be fixed by complaining... I changed NO settings), it worked.  

We're going to change the colors to be more specific to her dress, and that's fine, because I've left each color in a separate layer.   By making the owl larger, I will have a better oppportunity to work with details and style on the owl. I'm considering making the owl brown and then changing the indications of feathers in a lighter color.    The toughest part is that she wants the owl to be bigger and the fairy to be leaning on the owl. I only have Allan as a human model. I might have to bust out the old wooden human model. haha. 

This was my 5-10 min sketch and pic I took using Photobooth on the Macbook.

This is my first attempt in photoshop. I did it in plain old ball point pen and then scanned and colored it. The colors on the sides are just my temporary color pallet. 

I have to remember to stay simple and cartoony.  This doesn't come natural for me  Fortunately my bride knows this.  I'm also trying to avoid gradation. I later want the leaves on the trees to look similar to those on the dress.  I'm going to put her in a really simple tree. Based on a picture like this:

Btw, my dear Eric.  (He has commissioned another painting).  The reason I am starting this one first is that I need more feedback and then I can get it cracking.  I think we already have a good idea on what we want for your adorable ape painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment